Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Munro Bagging in Scotland from 2008



A little bit of a throwback from my trip to Scotland in 2008. I went Munro Bagging, which is described as "Scottish hill walking." Based on that description, I had no idea what I was in for that day. I followed 3 people, one of which was 76-years-old at the time. When I hopped on an early train to Glasgow to meet them, I didn't really know what to expect, which means I was in no way prepared. Expecting a casual walk up a 3,500 foot peak, I hadn't planned on bringing much food with me. Twelve miles, thirteen hours, and 5 peaks later, I was absolutely destroyed. To start things off, we had to cross a knee-deep stream that left my boots literally filled with water the entire trip, and my knees screaming with pain for the next few days. I learned a lot that day and was incredibly humbled by what I thought was a casual sport. The weather was insane, switching from rain, fog, snow, hail, and brilliant sun every 15 minutes or so. If you ever head to Scotland, I highly recommend a Munro Bagging trip while you're there. Just don't forget the food...























No comments: